Skip to main content

It's The Little Things Lucy

 



I realized I have mentioned "the little things" a few times but have not explained just what I am referring to. Therefore, I present a list of the little things. PS: I love making lists, they guide me, help me maintain focus and remind me of what lies ahead.  

  1. Passwords are a necessary component of our lives these days. I keep a small notebook with my passwords. It is a jumbled mess right now because I change passwords frequently. My plan is to remove the pages of the book that no longer apply and rewrite them in a better fashion. This will likely be a Sunday afternoon project with a cup of tea.  
  2. Maintaining important files. I pay most of my bills online. I keep more than one checking account in two different banks right now. I will be consolidating the two accounts soon. After I pay the bill, I hold the paper component until it clears the bank. I continue to get paper bills because my husband is not comfortable with online bill payment. If I am unable to do that office work, I want him to be able to take over. The paper I keep is credit cards, insurance payments, annual memberships, and medical receipts. That's it. I have a file folder and try to file that paper when the bill clears the bank. My "office" is an antique secretary in the corner of our family room. There is not much storage there. I must be prudent.
  3. I study my calendar on Sundays, to ensure that my appointments are accurate. Missed doctor or dentist appointments incur fees. Can't have that. Luncheons with friends are important to me. We schedule these monthly. Maintaining solid friendships is essential in retirement. I belong to church and service organizations as well. These need to coordinate. On Sunday I make my list. It is a simple worksheet I used in my professional life. It has a space for appointments, a list of phone calls to make, the big cleaning project of the week, the plan for the studio (I sew and quilt) and any items I need to purchase while out of the house on other errands.   
  4. I keep a magnetic note pad on the side of my refrigerator for grocery shopping. I grocery shop on Thursdays most weeks. I reconcile that list while drinking my morning coffee so that the items are in the same sequence as the grocery. 
  5. The first Monday of each month is "mending Monday." I do not like to mend. I do it because I must. Each item is resting in a wicker basket in my studio until that day. Some months I have little, others, a bit more. But by making this a monthly habit, I keep it under control.
  6. In my laundry room I keep a donation bag. Many organizations want and need clothes for their clients. I try to provide for local church closets and smaller groups gathering for the homeless. 
  7.   We have a Labradoodle; she is 4 years old. She loves to play with her balls and toys. Fortunately, she does not shed. Before bed, daily, I pick up her toys because she has them all over the house. I recently tripped on one that blended with the living room carpet. Almost took a spill. As a result, I have returned to this habit that I had become rather lax on maintaining. 
  8. This brings me to Putting the House to bed. Probably one of my most important tasks to maintain a peaceful home is this one. In short, I pick up those toys, straighten all the quilts and blanket throws, fluff the pillows, check the locks, fill the coffee pot and the electric tea kettle, refill the Berkey water filter container, clear all the counters, load the dishwasher and turn it on if full. I wash the dog dishes, put out the clean kitchen towels and dish cloths. Make sure that kitchen sink is clean and dry. Make sure keys are in their proper place, any items that need to go out the door in the morning are either in the car or on the launch pad. (more on that later) This can be accomplished here in about 20 minutes.
  9. I prefer to have my clothes for the next day pressed and ready to go. I have discovered that ironing everything and putting in the closet is an exercise in futility. I have to press them again. So, I set out what I have chosen, including shoes if leaving the house, if I am in the house the next day a clean, starched and pressed apron is there too. I remember my mother and my aunts as well as members of my husband's family in their clean aprons. I inherited some of them. To me, they are priceless.    
10. Try to maintain a regular sleep schedule. Studies have proven that keeping the same approximate time to rise and to bed is much better for your overall health than was previously thought. I don't need an alarm; I am up at the same time every day. Several weeks ago, I slept an hour later than usual. Husband was alarmed, he came to make sure I was still breathing.   
  • It is time for me to work on the Amaryllis I have permitted to go dormant. I have not had luck in the past, but truly, I am not one to give up.
  • So, there you have it dear readers. The 10-point list that I use day to day. Use this as a jumping off point for your own needs. It doesn't need to be 10 but whatever works for you. Of course, all these plans are fluid. There are times when one cannot maintain a schedule that you developed. Try not to be too enthusiastic. Much like New Year's Resolutions, you don't want your good effort to go the way of the gym membership in February!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Lucy Augustine and I Am A Planner!

 Welcome, my name is Lucy Augustine. This little blog is here to answer some questions, share ideas, and bring some organization to our world. You will often find me with a notebook and pen making lists and plans on how to live a better, more organized and more cultivated lifestyle. My ideas are my own culled after years of study and experimentation. Some of my methods are general for anyone, others for the retired person with a more flexible schedule. Making the most of your life, embracing every day, breaking down large household jobs into workable segments with finding some enjoyment along the way.  For transparency I want to say that I now have some physical limitations that have framed my work habits to a more tolerable pace. Recently, a member of an online group of friends,  asked me to be specific about how I worked and how she can adapt her maintenance schedule to be more user friendly!   Tips and tricks, tools I like, lists, schedules, and organizational tools, yes, there are

The Big Picture and The Little Details

  List making can be fun. You don't have to do it all at once. Find a comfy place to sit, pour a cup of coffee, tea, wine, (whatever) and go to it.  Make lists, evaluate, consider just how you work right now. What works for you, what does not, what would you like to change? One of the first and most famous bloggers who addressed cleaning methods was Marla Cilley, the Fly Lady.  I found some of her ideas to be great, others not so much. I may be incorrect but some of her work leans a bit to the religious, some to hoarders of a sort, and other methods just not workable for me. But, and this is important, her premise is right on. Her first lesson is to clean your kitchen sink. If that sounds simplistic, I guarantee it is not. A sparkling kitchen sink before bed is like a wrap on the day, to wake to that sink is like a smile greeting you begin the work of the day. Simple premise, an easy habit to cultivate, a good way to train oneself to honor the day.  Honoring the day, no matter what